The last thing any business needs is to be face with a marketing plan, business plan or even financial plan that is filled with long technical terms that nobody understands.
Here at ABL Business we try to ensure that we are straight talking, however sometimes we slip into the technical terms. To make sure that the jargon never confuses you again we have put together this glossary of 10 common terms used in marketing.
1. Analytics – Tool that helps to improve any business. Basically, analytics is the discovery and communication of meaningful patterns in data. In marketing the data, we would look at is website visits, social media and reports, financial data also helps to identify key sales patterns to name just a few. From there we would analysis them to see if there are any patterns or trends that are developing. This data then allows us to put together plans that better suit our audience.
2. Blogging – Is the term that relates to a weblog or log of information such as a diary online. A blog is a great platform to have on a website as it is a place for you to post fresh content on your business and marketplace. This then allows you to post links on social media directing people back to your website. Check out some of our blogs here!
3. Call to Action – A link, button or image that asks a web visitor to visit a webpage and become a lead. You properly see call these all the time but haven’t realised. Some examples of CTA’s are “Buy Now” “Download” “Call now on …”. CTA’s are important as you are leading your customers or followers to what you want them to do.
4. Content – “Content is a piece of information that exists for the purpose of being digested (not literally), engaged with, and shared.” – Definition Courtesy of Hubspot. Content is the text in your blog, the posts on Facebook and Twitter, the photo’s on Instagram and the video’s on YouTube.
5. Search Engine Optimisation – Search Engine Optimisation or SEO is very important and should definitely be on your website. SEO helps to move your website up the list on the search results on pages such as google. Blogging can help to improve your SEO as you are putting fresh content on your website. This is something google likes.
6. Responsive Design – It is very important to make sure that your website is a responsive design. This is what makes sure that your website displays accordingly to how it is being viewed. For example, someone viewing your website on a mobile phone wants the website to adapt to work on a smaller screen.
7. Landing Page – Landing Pages can be very useful if you are wanting to get people to do something specific. You’ve used your call to action to get people to fill out a form but where is the form? A link to a landing page is what then allows that web visitor to become a lead.
8. Key Word – Key words link back to your SEO and can help improve it. Keyword or Keyword phrases are the words and topics that get indexed for in search results by engines like google, Yahoo and Bing. You can decide what your Keywords are. The more precise you are the more likely you are to come in the search. For example we will pick keywords such as Marketing, Commercial Finance, SME. Make sure you Keywords relate to your business.
9. Engagement Rate – Engagement rates are used on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter. It measures the amount of interaction – likes, shares, comments – that are received on a piece of content. Monitoring your engagement rate allows you to check that you are posting the right content for your audience.
10. eBook – eBooks are a great way for you to share content that would be to long for a blog. They allow you to provide your customers and following with extra information. They can also be used to help generate leads. And who doesn’t love a freebie. Check out some of our eBooks here.
If you come across any marketing or finance jargon words that you’d like to know the meaning of let us know! Similarly, if you now realise your missing important things such SEO or landing pages from your website give us a call on 01274 965356 and our amazing web developer will be able to help you.